Thursday, October 19, 2006

Day 5 - Semi-world adventure

Day 5 - 05 October 2006

Early rise for us to get to the boat before breakfast for a quick tour of birds of the Amazon. Got back to breakfast and Paul and I were just telling everyone what they missed out the night before. After breakfast, Jamie and Nikkie (the English couple on their honeymoon) along and Paul and I went off for a quick hike to check out the local wildlife. Got to see monkeys and sloths and owls and more birds and insects. Got to learn about the plants which was quite interesting.

After the hike, we were fishing on the Amazon. Can you believe it.. fishing for pirahnas and others on the Amazon river. My first time fishing, and it was on the Amazon. Awesome. 3 out of the 5 fishes I caught were pirahnas. Paul caught 1 or 2. And that was it. I caught the most. I was happy.. heck, i was bloody excited. I was having the best time of my life.

After a bit of fishing, we got back to the lodge for some lunch, and had to get ready to head back to the Iquitos. A long boat ride with no dramas later, we got to Iquitos and back to the hotel Paul and I were staying at.

Some of the GBIF folks were still there, so met some up again for dinner. Maneul met us and took us to his friends bírthday party. From there we all went to this rave thing was quite interesting. It was fun, but had to leave early as had a 6am flight to Lima the next day.

We said our goodbyes to all, and headed off to bed.

It was my last night in Iquitos, my favourite place in the whole of Peru I seem to realise now. Beautiful place, beautiful people, great culture.

done a quick packing.. and to bed...
zzzzz

No comments: